The church of St Botolph in Aspley Guise has been much altered from its original medieval roots. Parts of the church are original C15 architecture but much was built, rebuilt or restored in the 1800’s. Made of Bedfordshire Ironstone the church is situated directly on Church Street which forms the main road from Aspley Guise to Salford.
Web site: St Botolph, Aspley Guise
Patron saint: St Botolph
The church is of a standard layout with a nave, north and south aisles, chancel and west tower. The total length of the church is around 62 feet and is 32 feet wide. The tower is 12 feet square in plan and is 50 feet tall.
The tower and north aisles are generally C15 but there is extensive renovation from the Victorian era. Most of the rest of the fabric of the church also dates from the 1850's.
The two aisles have embattled parapets as does the main roof above the clerestory.
The C15 tower is tight up against the edge of the churchyard and the road beyond. The west door and glasswork above is Victorian.
The north aisle has a small chapel at the eastern end containing a damaged life size effigy of a C14 knight believed to be Sir William de Tyrington.
The chancel arch contains a Victorian screen leading to the chancel which contains the organ loft.
The south aisle also has a small chapel at the eastern end.
There is an extensive collection of stained glass throughout the church, most, if not all, Victorian in origin.
Aspley Guise also has an impressive collection of corbel carvings.